ProntoForms is attending the 43rd annual CECA Convention this week, giving us an opportunity to showcase how advanced mobile solutions are increasingly being used to transform the elevator industry in two ways:
1. Elevator companies now use IoT sensors to help automate elevator maintenance programs and maximize asset lifespans
2. Mobility is also used to improve safety processes for the technicians who install, repair, and maintain elevators and escalators
Elevator Maintenance – Mobility & IoT are game changers
IoT sensors and mobile solutions enable Predictive Maintenance Programs. What does that mean? It means technology is now able to determine when, where, and how to perform maintenance on elevators and escalators.
Installing networked sensors in strategic locations lets facility managers and owners feed equipment performance data – e.g. temperature, humidity, vibration – in real time to analytics engines and maintenance staff. This setup gives you full visibility into the performance of your assets.
For example, you can:
- Track and monitor the condition and activity of key components in your facilities, e.g. shaft alignment, motor temperature, car speed, door function, and much more
- Automatically dispatch a local technician when sensors indicate out-of-range values – a motor running too hot or experiencing excessive vibration. The best part? No human interaction is required. The sensors trigger a service request automatically
- Use the technician’s mobile forms app to show facility location, equipment ID (which elevator or escalator requires attention), problem summary, required tools if any, and suggested actions for repair or maintenance
Being able to repair and maintain high-value assets in the field BEFORE they break down can have a large impact on customer satisfaction. If key assets aren’t running properly – especially during peak traffic hours – you’ll hear about it. By moving to a predictive model, you can help solve potential problems before equipment fails, maximize asset uptime and overall lifespan.
Safety programs for elevator companies
In addition to making sure your elevators are properly maintained, a mobile solution can help improve the safety procedures for the workers who install and maintain the equipment.
Rather than conducting safety inspections on old school paper forms and checklists, forward-thinking elevator companies have started to deploy mobile solutions for all their heath & safety workers in the field.
The benefits are obvious:
- Mobile forms apps let inspectors and auditors focus on collecting safety data rather than paperwork
- Cloud-connected data sources can auto-populate address, phone, and other fields in your OSHA forms – saving time, minimizing errors, and offering a much better user experience
- Easily embed rich media like photos, sketches, audio, and GPS location in incident reports to capture precise details
- A safety inspector equipped with an efficient mobile solution is an effective brand ambassador – the representative of a professional, well-run organization
ProntoForms recently hosted a safety webinar titled “Your Path To a Safer Job Site“ with Bryan McWhorter, a safety professional with eight years of experience in teaching and implementing safety processes, including five years as Senior Trainer for Philips Lighting.
This webcast discusses:
- What defines mobility and a true end-to-end solution
- How mobility carves the path to a safer jobsite
- How small companies to large enterprises are leveraging mobility to reach their safety goals
As ProntoForms’ Communications Manager, Mats leads a team of talented writers who provide written content for web, marketing collateral, social media, and PR. When he’s not moving commas around, he’s coaching Little League baseball and playing keys in a cover band. Mats has a degree in Journalism from Stockholm University.